Believe it or not, I am a Star Wars fan. I’m not a long-time well-read Star Wars fan, but I’m a fan enough that I speak in Star Wars quotes and I can sing the Cantina song.
So when I first heard about Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, I responded as any fan would.
“WHY ARE THEY MAKING ANOTHER STAR WARS MOVIE OUTSIDE OF THE EPISODES?!?! THAT’S STUPID!! WHAT A RIP-OFF. STAR WARS IS TURNING INTO A FRANCHISE!!!!!”
Well, my initial reaction faded and I began to appreciate one thing after another about this upcoming movie.
- The first thing I fell in love with was that ALARM SOUND in the Rogue One teaser. Because that alarm is IN the original films, and it’s just absolutely amazing. It sends chills up and down my spine.
- You know, Episode 4 was breaking new ground. So it’s rough around the edges. There are definitely parts in that movie that don’t feel ‘star-wars-y’ to me- they feel kind of seventies. That’s not really a good thing. And then after Episodes 1-3 came out, it was like “Wait… where did all this technology go in Episode 4?!” They over-techified Episodes 1-3, which ruined the timeframe because Episode 4 (surprise surprise) looks like it was made… oh, I don’t know, fifteen years before? So Rogue One is kind of needed to bridge that gap. To bring the force and the Empire and Vader’s evilness (which isn’t really there in Episode 4) to that time in the world.
- Speaking of Vader… VADER. *entire body shakes with emotion* My favorite Vader is at the end of Episode 3, when you know all his tragic backstory and blablabla. BUT THEN WHEN YOU WATCH EPISODE FOUR IT’S LIKE WHERE DID THAT VADER GO?!?! Where did his black heart and twisted motives and soul-crushing brokenness go?!?! So, Vader in Rogue One? Yes. I need this. Just… please. Please be Hayden Christensen. Please.*
- The characters in this movie? These are the people who go to the Death Star. Who investigate the enemy weapon. Who bring back information to the Rebellion. I NEVER KNEW I NEEDED THEIR STORY UNTIL NOW.
*I don’t think it’s going to be Hayden Christensen, because someone else is listed on IMDB as Darth Vader. Stupid. *cries until I die*
However, I have a few predictions about Rogue One that I’m not looking forward to. There are things that I’m pretty sure will happen that I hope DON’T happen (but, they probably will).
- Jyn is going to be Rey’s mom. *sigh*. I just… UGH. I don’t want that to happen. But let’s face it: it’s probably going to happen.
- They’re all going to die. Because they’re not in Episode 4.
Wait a second, those two predictions conflict with each other. If they die then Jyn can’t be Rey’s mom (rejoices). If Jyn is Rey’s mom, then at least she’s not going to die (conflicted rejoicing because it’s not that I WANT any of them to die but it’s definitely more dramatic if they do).
And I have another observation. Why is it that when I watch the trailer, all I see is The Force Awakens story played by different people? Jyn is Rey, Captain Cassian is Poe, K-2SO is SO OBVIOUSLY like C-3PO, and so on.
I don’t know. I’m excited, but I’m also hesitant. I feel like the episodes were fine on their own. I don’t think Rogue One will hurt the episodes, but… maybe it’s not necessary. What do you think? Are you on board the Rogue One ship?